For the last few months my hobby stuff has been and still is packed up as I’ve been moving house. If truth be told I’ve been in the process of moving for around 12 months now but the first house fell through. Anyway, we’re all in now and the vast majority of the boxes have been unpacked. In this house I should have an area that can be a dedicated hobby space, I’m really looking forward to this as I’ve never had that luxury before.
As I haven’t had chance to crack on with some hobby for a few months I throught I’d write a to-do list of everything – hobby related – that I want to achieve in 2017.
So here we go…
1. Set up a hobby space. This will involve finding a suitable desk that will also have space for tools and paints. I also want to get some integrated lighting into the area.
2. Finish off my Carmine Dragon. It’s been knocking around for months now and it just needs the flesh and bone areas painting. I also need to find a suitable base for it.
3. Complete my Sylvaneth models. This involves painting three hunters, two tree lords and a Sylvaneth Wizard that I knocked up.
4. Build and paint up the Silvertower models along with extra hero packs.
5. Build and paint up my Emperor’s Children Tactical Marines.
6. Build and paint The Everqueen.
7. Try and not buy anymore models until I’ve painted everything.
With the speed that I paint I think that there will be more than enough for me to do here but if I manage to get all this painted I wouldn’t mind picking up some Death Korps of Krieg and building up a little force of them. So that’s my 2017 plan, it’s a little late but a late plan is better than no plan!
Since the start of September I’ve painted 32 dryads and 1 branchwych – which for me is a lot of models – to form the basis of my Sylvaneth glade. As I mentioned in my previous Sylvaneth post I wanted my glade to have a cherry blossom look to them, they had to symbolise a renewal of life and new beginnings, so the Sakura was the obvious choice.
So how did I paint these pink bad boys and girls? Firstly, I primed everything with black and then I hit the models with a really messy layer of Scale 75 Dubai Brown. Once that was dry all the raised areas were painted with Scale 75 Graphite. I then washed the model using Scale 75 Inktensity Wood, which I’d thinned using an acrylic thinner. The wash blended the all the previous layers togeather and helped the transitions look more natural. Scale 75 Rainy Day was then used to pick of the raised areas, again, and then White was added to the raised areas.
I then began to pick out the areas I wanted to be pink. This was done by hitting these areas with Scale 75 Fuchsia followed by blending in P3 Carnal Pink. The runes were painted using Scale 75 Alquima Cullcita which has a pearl-like quality that makes the runes look a little more magical.
And that was that, I’m really happy with how they’ve turned out and I can’t wait to add some more units to the glade.
“But it only takes one tree to make
A thousand matches
Only takes one match to burn
A thousand trees
A thousand trees”
It’s not often a modelling blog starts with the Stereophonics but I thought it was apt, it does, however, give away the easiest way to destroy a tree which probably isn’t the wisest thing to give away if you’re starting an army based on wood. Anyway, around a year ago I was browsing the armies with the wifey at the Liverpool GW store. As we looked at the Sylvaneth Treelord my wife said that it looked cool and I have to admit that it did. After that I picked up a box of dryads but they just ended up in my “to do” pile. With the release of the Sylvaneth starter set that contains a Treelord, a Branchwych and 16 dryads, I decided that it was time that I picked the starter set up and start my Sylvaneth glade.
So with a Branchwych, Treelord and 32 dryads to paint I needed to decided on a colour scheme. I wanted a colour scheme / theme that would work across several different order armies so that they’d look themeatically the same on the battlefield just in case I wanted to add some allies at a later date.
For the Sylvaneth I started looking at the different seasonal schemes other painters have used. The ones I was really drawn to were the autumnal ones that used brow, reds and yellows. There were two reasons why I decided against this, the first is that I wanted my Sylvaneth to represent a resurgence, a fresh start, a new hope, so that meant I’d have to go with a rich spring scheme. The second reason why I decided against an autumn theme was that it seemed really popular and I wanted to choose a scheme that was a little more unique, especially if I was going to base a combined order Order army on it.
After doing some searching online I came across a cherry blossom theme by Awaken Realms that this really inspired me. I just loved the way the pink popped against the white. The cherry blossom theme obviously lends itself to an oriental scheme which I thought might be cool to explore further as I build the glade and perhaps incorporate different armies.
So now with a scheme in mind I just had to work out what colours I needed to use in order to create the look I wanted but I’ll leave that for another blog.